Children's Journals

This is my journal, with posts mainly about myself. If you want to see posts specifically about Maia or Liam, check out the links to their journals under the "My Interests" section on the right side of my blog page.

Belly Picture Comparison

View Belly Picture Camparison for Second Pregnancy!

Monday, April 16, 2012

New York, New York!

This past Saturday, I spent the day in New York with the females from my family. Namely, my mom, my sisters, my aunt Lisa, two of my cousins (her daughters, Rachel and Corinne), and a step-cousin (Lauren). We took the mid-morning train in and arrived in New York just in time to walk to Bryant Park and grab lunch to take with us. I would have liked more time to walk about Bryant Park, but the place I picked for getting my food took forever so I had to scarf, and do a quick fly-by. But I managed to snap some pictures of the park, which I had never actually been to before. Very pretty. Wish we had something like this near us. Of course, I would have LOVED to have seen Central Park, but there was no time for that at all. (pictures here)

(the beautiful Ogbin girls)

After Bryant Park, we headed back to 41st street and the Nederlander theatre, where we saw "The Newsies". I was vaguely familiar with it, since my sister is obsessed with the movie and music. Having not seen the movie, I liked the play a lot. Apparently they made some changes, and fans of the movie weren't as pleased. But I thought it was good. And I can't get the darn songs out of my head. At least they aren't horrible songs.

After the show, we passed through Times Square (again) and I remembered to take some recognizable pictures.

And then we went to Latitude for dinner and drinks. I confirmed that I really just don't like drinks with Vodka in them (ick). But my pulled pork sliders were pretty darn good. And edamame for an appetizer is always a nice thing. I tried taking a few pictures in the restaurant, but forgot to turn on the flash for most of them (darn grainy low-lighting iPhone pictures). These are the best ones.

And then, since it was late, we headed back to the train, where I had two scares along the way. First was my mom not paying attention and following people across a street when the no-crossing sign was up (I know, most ignore this, but...), when a taxi was speeding along the road. I thought for sure she was going to get hit, and my heart leapt up into my throat (so THAT'S what that feels like). She was fine, and not phased, and maybe it wasn't as bad as it seemed...but I didn't like it. And then when heading to our platform, I chose to take the stairs instead of the escalator, and it did NOT dump out where everyone else was...and there were trains on either side of the platform and I didn't immediately see which one was mine. So I panicked. I knew we only had a few minutes to get on the train, but I couldn't find my family nor the train, and I panicked like a lost little girl and shouted out "Oh my god, where's my family?!" Yes folks...I totally did, and in a high-pitched crazy voice too. I would say that the people near me thought I was a freak, but I probably blended in with all the other crazies. Then I heard the blessed sound of my sister Michelle's voice, and a hysterical/relieved/shrill "Mom!?!" escaped me. Not sure why I didn't say "Michelle"...I guess because when one is scared, they turn to their mommy. So that's who I called for. And then I saw them. Not that far away. And then I saw the correct train, and it was all good. But I didn't feel well for a good 10 minutes or so. I managed to drag out my knitting and started feeling better after that. Whew.

Anyway...New York. I someday want to see Central Park. But I think I need a while to get over the crazy traffic, scary trains, nasty smells, and crowds of people!

No comments:

Post a Comment